Research shows that having excessive amounts of slower neuron firing in the left frontal lobe and excessive amounts of faster neurons firing in the right frontal lobe could indicate depression. The right frontal area is more associated with fear and motivation to withdraw from and avoid other people. Someone with thus brain activity is more prone to anxiety, depression, and to withdraw from others. This occurrence could be due to genetics, family history of depression and/or from head injuries such as concussions. One would argue that antidepressants should correct this problem however often they don’t. If you struggle with depression, Neurofeedback can help. By balancing the neuron firing in the frontal lobe, clients begin feeling happier, “lighter”, more sociable, and experience improved sleep patterns.
Clients come to us with a variety of depression issues; they may experience “medication-resistant” depression, major depression, anxiety driven depression or a depression/anxiety mix, a low-grade “blue” feeling called Dysthymia, or irritability with or without anger. Neurofeedback can treat them all.
What are the symptoms of Depression?
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating, or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.
Will the medication I am taking get in the way of training or my results?
We will discuss each case individually with you and evaluate all medications you are on as well as medications/supplements that may be helpful or supportive. Neurofeedback can be beneficial even if you are on medication. Each person has a different brain, therefore each person has a different situation, and we set up a treatment plan to cater to each person’s individual needs.